Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Trip to Sephora and the Salon

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion.
But cosmetics are easier to buy."
(Yves Saint-Laurent)

I stopped by the nearby Sephora store in SoHo during a lunchtime stroll this afternoon, and picked up a few goodies.


I'm almost out of my current tube of this eye cream, which I've been using for at least the past year or so. I normally just use it around the eyes, although it can also be used around the mouth (not on the lips). It's formulated without sulfates, synthetic fragrances or dyes, phthalates, GMOs, or triclosan.


It's hard to explain what this product is -- it's not a primer or a moisturizer -- but I've been buying it for years and use it as a moisturizer. It's super light and healthy, sulfate/fragrance/dye/phthalate-free, and 1 pump is more than sufficient for me. On those really harsh, dry winter days I might try something a little thicker, but I don't even have a facial lotion now.


This is a clear topcoat with chunky and micro gold glitter. Fun! I mostly own OPI nail polishes, but I also like butter LONDON: it's pricier, but free of formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP (dibutyl phthalate). I usually do my own nails, and I think I can count the number of times I've been to a nail salon on one hand, including my sister's wedding and my own wedding.


This line is new to me, but that could be because I haven't really been out shopping in a while. I decided to give it a try because it's $10 less expensive than the same size Philosophy bath and shower gels that I like (although most of the time I buy whatever looks good at Duane Reade).

I also noticed that Sephora is now selling WEN by Chaz Dean. I've used WEN cleansing conditioner in the past, and while it's a good product, I didn't find it to be good enough to justify the cost. Back to Duane Reade!

On the topic of hair, I finally got a trim on Friday. I usually walk-in to Supercuts or someplace similar, but on the recommendation of my friend Christine, I made an appointment at Kiyora Salon near Union Square. I'm accustomed to being in and out in 20 minutes, but Mari was a quiet, polite Japanese stylist who took her time with me and had a lot of comments -- and some concerned looks -- regarding my hair. She told me that my hair is: 1) shiny but dry at the ends, 2) naturally brown and not black, and 3) a little wavy and can hold a nice curl; all of which I knew but I appreciated her attention to detail. She laughed when I told her I don't own a blow dryer, use any styling products, or brush my hair, but she spoke slowly and deliberately when she said to me, "I want you to comb your hair at least once." I assured her I would...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and interacting with readers. Thank you!