Thursday, June 12, 2014

Spring 2014 Brooklyn Eats

"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie."
(Jim Davis)

Since we are moving to Michigan on Monday, this is my final installment of "Brooklyn Eats." Right now, our apartment is a mess with boxes everywhere, even though earlier today we shipped off 5 large boxes containing coats, scarves, clothing, shoes, CDs, DVDs, and the DVD player. We have a very busy weekend coming up -- with relatives flying in, a friend's birthday dinner, Sam's graduation from medical school, dinner with family, drinks with friends, church, and Father's Day -- so I hope we get everything done in time.

I didn't do much cooking or baking over the past few months. I felt so fatigued most days that I didn't have the energy to think about meal planning. But that doesn't mean that I wasn't still preoccupied with food! And while I haven't really had any aversions so far, I wouldn't say that I ever craved vegetables, or even protein (unless animal crackers count). Most of my pregnancy cravings have involved carbs -- no carb left behind! -- although tonight I did have mac and cheese with mushrooms, spinach, and shallots... plus another order of mac and cheese with tomatoes and avocado.

Below are some of the meals I did make, including cookies that didn't quite turn out the way I had hoped, but they still tasted good. Sam also made a few great dinners, including chicken salad with avocado, and turkey ragu with polenta. The very last thing I made was a key lime pie for my coworkers, 2 nights ago, right before we packed up all of the kitchen equipment.

Spring Homemade Meals

Damn Delicious' loaded vegetarian nachos
Rachael Ray's black and white chicken chili
Rachael Ray's meatloaf muffins with barbecue sauce
Ina Garten's capellini with tomatoes and basil
Oprah's favorite grilled cheese by Oh, Sweet Basil
Daring Gourmet's peanut butter sandwich cookies with Nutella marshmallow cream cheese filling

Last Local Restaurants

Beer/Sandwiches: Bierkraft
Cheese/Sandwiches: Meltkraft
Chinese: Szechuan Delight
Coffee & Tea: Prospect Perk CaféSit & Wonder
Gelato: L'Abero dei Gelati
Ice Pops: People's Pops
Indian: Sanskriti
Italian: al di la, Marco's
Mac & Cheese: Elbow Room
Mediterranean/Middle Eastern: Pita Pan
Thai: Song

I'm sad to be leaving Brooklyn and NYC, and my family and friends, but I'm looking forward to all of the changes that life will bring in Michigan. After I settle in, I'll post some spring highlights, including our 2nd anniversary and my Brooklyn bucket list. I'll miss you, Brooklyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and interacting with readers. Thank you!