Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

"There is a child in every one of us who is still a trick-or-treater looking for a brightly-lit front porch."
(Robert Brault)

Happy Halloween! I hope everyone is safely enjoying the candy and costumes. I stayed in tonight -- and watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown in its entirety for the first time, and now we're semi-watching Ghostbusters -- but went out in costume over the weekend for a work-related event in the West Village, and then to a bar in the East Village.

All Halloweens Past

As a kid, I was all about the candy on Halloween. I didn't really dress up, but would sometimes don very simple accessories, like kitten or bunny ears, or wear a trash bag with holes to look ghost-ish. As an adult, I've had more fun dressing up for Halloween, but was initially spurred on by the excitement of dressing up Emma, my puppy niece.

My favorites were Pez, Tom Brady, and Martha Stewart

This Halloween

Last year was our first married Halloween, and the first time we went out together, dressed for the occasion. We were the wooden crate and leg lamp from A Christmas Story; I had Sam wear the lamp costume since it was skimpy, but funny on him.

This year, we also had a coordinating costume: flight attendant and pilot. Sam was crafty and added black tape to the sleeves of a white shirt and pinned cardboard cut-outs to the shoulders, and I just bought a costume (the most covered up one I could find!).

Once a year, his craft skills come out
Ready for take-off at Sotto 13
Flying the friendly skies at The 13th Step

Update: Lifestyle website Miss A -- which covers philanthropic people, businesses, and brands in over 20 cities -- posted a recap of the Halloween event I attended on October 26. A photo of us made the cut!

Recap of Halloween event

Tonight I received text messages with photos of our nephews and nieces in their Halloween costumes, and they were so cute! The best part about Halloween is seeing all of the adorable kids... and, of course, the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and interacting with readers. Thank you!